Stranded: 600 tourists trapped in Haast, 115 in Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier access road on Thursday. - Photo: Department of Conservation

At least 600 tourists are trapped in Haast on the West Coast due to road damage and slips after ex-cyclone Fehi carved a path of destruction.

The area was lashed by wild weather yesterday, blocking roads, bringing down power lines and causing damage along the entire coast.

The area is still in a state of emergency.

Westland's mayor, Bruce Smith, told Nine to Noon the tourists are trapped due to a major slip south of the town.

Mr Smith said all of the tourists were staying at accommodation in Haast while the authorities figured out how to clear an escape route.

The Westland District Council said the slip south of Haast was 100m long and at least 9m high.

Police and the NZTA are working to clear the road there and at Fox Glacier.

Chief executive of the Westland District Council Simon Bastion said roading contractors were part of the stranded group so they had been able to keep in radio contact.

Mr Bastion said the weather was expected to clear today, so rescue crews were hopeful those stranded would be able to drive out or be helicoptered out today.

"The helicopter has taken off, on board is Electronet who will try disengage the electrical wires which are across the main highway, they are the main reason we couldn't get them out last night."

State Highway 6 between Ross and Makarora remains closed due to strong winds and fallen trees, the highway is also closed between Westport and Greymouth.

Flooding has also closed State Highway 8 in Central Otago between Roxburgh and Millers Flat.

Westpower said 900 properties remain without power in South Westland, Franz Josef and Fox Glacier.

A spokesman said power would be restored to Franz Josef tonight but Fox Glacier would be without power until tomorrow.

The Tasman District Council said the region didn't suffer more storm damage overnight.

In Nelson Civil Defence and The Red Cross have switched to impact assessment mode and will go door to door today in the affected areas of Mapua and Monaco.

The region did not suffer any further damage overnight.

In Christchurch, the peak flooding has now passed, but a number of roads remain closed.

Closed roads include roads along the Opawa River in Woolston and Opawa, and roads along the Avon River in New Brighton, Shirley and Aranui.

The Christchurch Transport Operations Centre says it expects to be able to reopen affected roads soon.

Dunedin's state of emergency has been lifted, however the Emergency Operations Centre remains active as the recovery from yesterday's flooding gets underway the Dunedin City Council said.

Dunedin was pelted by more than 100 millimetres of rain yesterday, which caused flooding in areas including South Dunedin and Mosgiel.

The rain overwhelmed parts of the water network, sending diluted but untreated sewage onto South Dunedin's Surrey Street and Hillside road.

The Dunedin Mayor, Dave Cull, said no further significant rain is forecast, and the focus is now on helping the community recover.

"It was great to see the whole community - residents, businesses, emergency services, health, DCC staff and contractors and many others - working together to get through yesterday's flooding," Mr Cull said.

The Dunedin City Council chief executive, Sue Bidrose, said the council was aware of thirteen homes which have been flooded, mostly in South Dunedin.

Most roads around Dunedin have now re-opened, but some closures remain including a number of fords in rural areas.

Ruskin Terrace and Edwin Street are closed due to sewage contamination, but contractors are working to re-open them as soon as possible.

The council is warning that all floodwaters should be treated as contaminated.

Leave a Comment