Name suppression for tourist murder accused

Grace Millane's alleged murder was granted name suppression in court this morning.

The man accused of murdering British backpacker Grace Milane has been granted interim name suppresion.

The 26-year-old appeared in Auckland District Court, where Judge Evangelos Thomas granted the 20 day interim order.

The accused's defence lawyer argued for name suppression on the grounds of a "fair trial".

Today's court appearance following a week long investigation into the disappearance of 22-year-old Grace.

Grace was last seen on the eve of her 22nd birthday. She was seen on the night of December 1 going into CityLife Hotel with a man.

Grace's body was discovered yesterday afternoon, in an area of bush just 10 metres off the road, in Auckland's Waitakere Ranges.

The body remains at the scene and is yet to be formally identified, but police believe it's the backpacker.

Detective Inspector Scott Beard says the police investigation into Grace's death would continue for some time, as they pieced together what happened after she was last seen entering a central Auckland hotel more than a week ago.

A missing person report was received on Wednesday for the 22-year-old after her family had not heard from her for several days.

Grace's father has arrived in Auckland Friday to help police in the search operation.

David Millane was met by police at the airport and is being supported by them.

During a press conference on Friday, David struggled to hold in his emotions as he told media of his worry for his daughter.

"Grace is a lovely, outgoing, fun loving, family orientated daughter. She's usually in daily contact with family on social media," he said on Friday.

"I would just like to take this opportunity to appeal to anybody who has seen, spoken to, or come into contact with Grace over the last few days, to come forward with any detail, no matter how small, and contact the investigation team."

-Additional reporting by RNZ.

Reported By:-